During 1876, Hinton received a Steam Punt, the first of its kind in the area. This Punt was especially built for Hinton. It was trialled in Newcastle Harbour before arriving here at Hinton.
The Steam Punt was 70 feet in length including the bow and stern ramps. Mr James Coombs won the contract to operate the Punt.
The width of the Hunter River at high tide was 370 feet, when the Punt was in operation.