A Baptist Minister, the Rev. Philip Lane, arrived in Hinton during August 1856. The next day he preached in the Temperance Hall to a congregation of 150 in the morning and 200 in the evening.
Steps were quickly taken by Philip Lane to erect a church.
After the building was well underway, it was discovered it was on the adjoining block, not owned by the church.
The problem was overcome and the church was completed. The Rev, Philip Lane, being a master mason by trade, did most of the work with his own hands, in addition to his preaching.
The Baptist Church was opened for service on July 5th, 1857.