The Loyal Orange Lodge established an order in Hinton on 1st September, 1871 and it was named “The Hinton Purple Star”.
The Loyal Orange Institution or Orange Lodge, is a Protestant fraternal order sworn to maintain the Protestant Ascendancy. The fraternity was established in 1795 and is headed by the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland, which was established in 1798.
The President of the Hinton Purple Star in 1871 was W.M.Rev. Bro. Dr. R Boag and the Secretary was Bro. Jas. C. Beattie.