The original school at Hinton was Presbyterian Denominational, established in 1841.

When the teacher resigned in 1848, the Board of National Education appointed William Heard as teacher of a Government school in April 1849 in part of a store shed on the river bank. A new National School was built in 1854.

This building was demolished when the present school was built, with work starting in 1877 and finishing in 1878, including the teachers residence.